Tuesday, March 5, 2013

DIY Deodorant

As I've mentioned on here before, I always want to test ideas/recipes out BEFORE I post them on here because I want to make sure you won't be wasting your time if you try something I've suggested. I want this blog to help make your life simple, not more work. Or, if it's gonna be a bit more work, I at least want it to be worth it, something that saves you money, keeps you healthy or something you can just take pride in having done yourself.

So today I wanna share a recipe for homemade deodorant. Yes, I realize you can take less than 5 minutes and a few dollars and just go buy some. Yes, I realize you're limited on time. However, I also realize that store bought deodorant is FULL of aluminum. And being that your skin is the largest organ on your body, you are putting that aluminum directly onto your skin where it seeps into your blood stream. Not good for you. PLUS, it's the reason your hubby's white shirts have all those yellow pit stains.

Yes, I realize you can spend a bit more and get a healthy, organic version from any health foods store. However, if you're willing to take 20 minutes once every 3 MONTHS (yes, you read that right) then you can have the same, organic, good for you type of deodorant for a fraction of the cost! And worst case scenario, if you try it and decide you either don't care for it or don't wanna take the time to make it, you can always use the ingredients you bought in many other recipes, so they won't go to waste.

I've been using this recipe for 3 months now. I just made my second batch today. I LOVE IT. It's simple, it's healthy, and it works! I searched for a long time through a myriad of recipes for homemade deodorant. But all I ever found were ones that had you make a paste and then rub it in your armpits with your fingers. NO THANK YOU. And besides, I have limited time to get ready in the morning because I want every minute of sleep I can get, so I really don't want to add another time of washing my hands while getting ready. Even if it only takes a few minutes every day. For a few minutes every 3 months, I can have regular, solid deodorant that doesn't require me to get my hands goopy. Yes, please!

I came across this recipe on the blog Frugally Sustainable. Love, love, LOVE this blog!! You should definitely check it out when you have a minute! Here's my version (with a couple of things omitted):

DIY DEODORANT

1 T cocoa butter
1 T coconut oil
1 T beeswax
3 1/2 T arrowroot powder
1/4 t. vitamin E oil
8 drops essential oil
Clean used deodorant container

You can find all of these items at your local health foods store (except the container of course). I wish I'd paid attention to the original cost, but knowing that the equivalent in store bought healthy deodorant is usually $6-8 each, this is waaaaaaaay cheaper. I'm roughly guessing it cost me about $30-35 for all of it. But this will make you at least a 5 YEAR supply if each batch lasts 3 months. You'd spend that on the store bought stuff in just over a year if not sooner. So it's approximately 1/5th of the cost if you DIY.  :)

The original recipe calls for shea butter and probiotics. I have no idea why I didn't get the shea butter, but it didn't seem to make a difference, so I'm not worried about it now. As for the probiotics, those can be expensive, so I wanted to be sure I liked the recipe before I bought them. Next trip to the store, I'm definitely picking some up! I also used only arrowroot powder and 1/2 the amount of essential oil it suggests because I have sensitive skin.

So here's what you do (total time about 20 minutes):

1. Melt the coconut oil, beeswax & cocoa butter over a low heat.

**I just eye-balled 1 T of each because the butter and wax are hard.**


2. Remove the pan from the heat and add the arrowroot powder, mixing until well blended.


3. Add Vitamin E oil and essential oil. Let cool in the pan to a pudding-like consistency.


4. Carefully scoop into your clean deodorant container with a spatula.

**Make sure your container base is rolled down to the lowest setting. Then you'll have to press down on each scoop of deodorant to squish it into the container. You should have very little left as it will take nearly all of it to fill a regular size deodorant dispenser.**


The finished product!! Now place in the refrigerator to cool completely and harden. Once it does, you can keep it in your bathroom at room temperature.



Here's to healthy, money-saving ways to DIY in your everyday routine!


0 comments:

Post a Comment