Sunday, January 8, 2017

Better By 40

It's funny...when you begin a new phase in life, one that you didn't plan on, how overwhelming it can seem. I had planned to go back and blog all about our time in China, but it just never happened. Instead, it's cataloged on Facebook in our travel group. And ya know, I'm ok with that. For now, I'm not gonna give it a second thought...I'm just going to focus on where I am now.

It hit me a month or so back that this year, we both turn 40, Sean and I. FORTY. Not quite sure how that happened, because I'm quite certain we were only 20 year olds in college just last year. LOL. My how time flies...

As I pondered all the years that have passed in the blink of an eye, I wondered just what I'd done with all that time. I can't get it back, you know. It's gone. How did I spend it? Did I make a difference? Was my time well spent? Did I serve the purpose God had for me in those minutes, hours, days and weeks? I know one thing. If any of those things DID happen, it wasn't because it was intentional. Oh I had moments of being intentional...but on the whole? On the whole it's been more just go with the flow. And I realize now...that's NOT what I want. So this new phase? It's all about change...

I have a number of areas in my life that need work. I mean, don't we all? But I couldn't just choose to "change all the things". I needed some sort of structure, some sort of plan. See? Even my plan needs to be intentional. So I narrowed it down to 6 main areas of focus. I am posting it here for my small world of readers to see, if for no other reason than accountability, for "putting myself out there". But in the mean time, if it encourages someone else to work on something they need to, to be intentional in some area in their life that is lacking?? BONUS! I pray that my words and actions are an encouragement.

So my "goals" as it were, are the following:

"Better By 40":

1. 40 x 40. I want to lose 40 pounds by the time I turn 40...which, funny enough, happens to be exactly 40 weeks from today!

2. I want to declutter/destress/purge every single area of my home, one little bit at a time.

3. I want to finish the myriad of projects that I've started and not completed.

4. I want to be a better wife/mom/daughter/sister/friend/Christ follower.

5. I want to find a way to use my talents and creativity to bless others.

6. I want to set up and USE my own personal "War Room".
**Side note, if you haven't seen that movie, it is a MUST. Do it. Do it now.**

In order to make my list easy to remember, I gave each item a one-word description...and made them all begin with the same letter. So I narrowed it down to:

1. Pounds
2. Purge
3. Projects
4. Progress
5. Produce
6. Prayer

So now that I have the ideas in place, I need to set some action steps to make it work. I came up with these to start:

1. Pounds: I have lined my mirror with scripture, quotes and other inspirational writing for daily motivation. I will spend time exercising every day and make each meal healthy. I am taking it day by day, so when I mess up, I simply start new at the next meal or the next morning.

2. Purge: I am taking charge of one room at a time, starting with mine. I will make progress weekly on each room until it is finished, then move on to another.

3. Projects: I will make a list of my outstanding projects, and tackle one at a time, starting with the smallest.

4. Progress: I will focus on one personal change per month. I will make a list and tackle one at a time. Up first, my daily time in the Word, which has been lacking.

5. Produce: I will make a list of creative ideas that I have. First up, I am learning to hand letter. I hope to make a few inspirational home decor printables.

6. Prayer: I will determine my location, clear the space, and write out/post some immediate prayer requests.

Overall, my focus comes from a sermon from a week ago...MAKE IT COUNT.  Whatever I do, however I do it, for myself or for others, I want to be intentional with my time and my talent. I want to make it count. I want my life to count.

The verse that I've chosen to focus on for this journey is Galatians 6:9

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

So this is my new phase, my focus for this year. Want to join me? To be intentional with your time? You don't need to come up with as many areas as I did...these are the ones I chose because they are important to me, because they work for me. You may have 3...You may only have 1.

It's not where you start that counts, what counts is that you do start...

Let's start here. Let's start now. Join me!


0 comments:

Post a Comment