Wednesday, January 25, 2017

BB40: Week 2...ish

Yeah so, I'm a *little* behind on reporting for this week. LOL.

As with all goals, changes, etc (I believe anyway), the second week in seems to be the hardest. Maybe it's just me...but this last week was not what I had planned. I ate horribly and only exercised ONCE. So yeah, those two little pounds that came off the week before? Yep, they are back to haunt me...and they brought a friend with them just for fun. So if you're keeping score, that's +1 for the other team. NOT what I had planned at all.

That being said, I want to stress that for me, this is NOT a diet. I'm not looking to drop weight quickly (as lovely as that would be). I'm looking for a LIFESTYLE CHANGE. I don't believe in diets, in fads, in sugar free, fat free, etc. I want to eat better and exercise more. That is all. I want something that is a permanent change that allows me to enjoy the food I eat, but to eat it to FUEL my body, not to comfort me. See, historically speaking, I am an emotional eater. Always have been. I eat when I'm happy. I eat when I'm sad. I eat when I'm stressed. I eat when I'm excited. I eat when I'm angry, hurt, bored, overwhelmed, celebrating, consumed with guilt, consumed with pride...you name the emotion, I will eat in honor of it. It's RIDICULOUS. But, I also know I'm not alone. I think too many of us turn to food as our vice...and we justify it because in our minds we "don't get drunk, don't do drugs, don't sleep around" or what-have-you. We justify it because we believe it could be worse. That, or we allow ourselves to believe we "deserve" it.

Friends, I'm here to tell you--as much for ME as for anyone else reading who needs to hear it--BOTH of these are lies. The reality is, eating as a vice is just as bad for your body and your overall health as drinking in excess, doing drugs, sleeping around, or any other poor choice you could make. It may be a slower "death" for your body, but it's death just the same. It's a sin called gluttony...and it's no different that any other sin in the Bible. And thinking you deserve it?? NO. What you deserve is to have a body that functions at its best! What you deserve, is to have optimal health that allows you to enjoy LIVING with those around you, while having the energy to keep up! And just in case you question the authority of these beliefs, let me refer to 1 Cor 6:19-20  "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies." I don't know about you, but I find it WAY too easy to get caught up in focusing on my words, my intentions, how I treat others, how often I pray or read my Bible...and allow myself to forget that how I treat my body is of equal importance if my purpose is to HONOR God. And most times? That's gonna be day-to-day. I am not one who can look at the bigger picture and tackle it head on. I have to take it step by step. I have to focus on TODAY. Sometimes, I have to just focus on this MEAL. And if I eat a super unhealthy meal? MOVE ON. I have to do better at the next meal. If I miss a day of exercising? MOVE ON. I have to make it a higher priority the next day. It's step by step, sometimes that means moment by moment. Baby steps here, not a sprint, but a marathon.

As for other parts of my week, well, I took the opportunity to tackle the girls' room when my 7yo mentioned she wanted to purge the room. However, it was way more of an undertaking than I expected and while the ROOM looks great, I now have piles of stuff laying all over the gameroom. And I haven't even gotten to their clothes or shoes yet! LOL. At the same time, my youngest son decided he wanted his "own room", so Sean decided to let him try out the theater room for a month. If it goes well, we will move his bed in there (he's on the sofa bed for now) and all of his belongings. So THAT was going on at the same time. If you're keeping score on this front, that means that THREE of the four bedrooms in our home were being purged almost simultaneously...not for the faint of heart. My house looks like a tornado hit it. So this week I will simply try to crawl out from under the rubble and manage to contain the mess!

I DID manage to decide on a location for my War Room! One corner of our bedroom contains a chair of my grandmother's that I recovered and a little table my daddy built. As long as I lock the door to my room, it should be the perfect location!  ;)  I also have a call scheduled for Thursday (that I may have mentioned last week) to discuss an opportunity I have to really pour into a passion of mine. I'd love for you to pray with me for clarity on this!

I have to say though, the BEST thing to come from this week?? I only missed my daily time in the Word once--and my walk with God is stronger every day for it! I find my days are easier to manage, my time is spent more intentionally, and my focus is sharper--when I make sure to set my day right, right off the bat. And I'm not the least bit surprised--Hebrews 4:12 tells us the POWER of the Word of God  "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart." When I spend regular time in the Word, it changes my attitude, changes my focus, changes my heart...and helps me to become that better wife, mom, daughter, sister & friend that I am reaching toward. If NOTHING else comes of these next 38 weeks but developing the habit of daily time in the Word?? Then I win. More than anything I want to be the version of me God created me to be...and that starts with the most important relationship I'll ever have--the one with Him.

Here's to an even better week this week!
Blessings,


0 comments:

Post a Comment