Tuesday, August 12, 2014

If I Never Hold Her

I think the day or two following the list release are the hardest. It's the let-down after the anticipation, the utter crash after being hopeful. It's the questions, the longing, the struggle, the pain...

Last night I awoke at about 4am gasping for air, sobs wracking my body. But they were sobs of joy. I'd just received an email telling me we had it, we had her file, we were finally, officially, legitimately going to be a family...I was so completely overwhelmed with emotion that my body simply convulsed in sobs of joy.

But then I woke up. It wasn't real. It wasn't true. Everything wasn't alright. I was back in the middle of life as it actually is--in the middle of this roller coaster ride of an adoption, with seemingly no end in sight. So I tossed and turned and attempted to go back to sleep, eventually succumbing to my exhaustion.

I don't know how this all ends. I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel today. I can't give reassuring words of hope to my kids who continue to ask when their sister is coming home and what is taking so long. Today it feels as though I'm at the end of my rope, wrought with exhaustion, questions without answers, frustration, confusion and pain.

And yet I know...I know that if I never hold her, He still does. If I never come face to face with her in this life, He knows her name and His plan for her is great. If I never hear the name "Mama" uttered from her lips, He will not leave her orphaned...for He has a home for her, a family with a hole only she can fill. For He cares for her more than I could possibly imagine...and although I cannot see it now, His plan is perfect.

So I attempt to rest in the shadow of the Almighty, trusting Him with her, with us, with the future. I breathe in, breathe out, and keep going...

'But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.'                      --2 Cor. 12:9


I know His grace IS sufficient.



1 comments:

Leah said...

I want to hold her too. Praying for your mama heart to hold onto Him in the waiting. :(

Post a Comment