Thursday, April 11, 2013

Rosalie

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was sitting in church dreading the call I knew was coming. I cried through every song and much of the sermon, although I couldn't tell you what it was about. It was a few hours later when I was at home that it came. The call. "She's gone" is all I heard...

There are 3 women in my life (so far) who have had a major influence on the woman I've become. My grandmother was one of them. In some ways it feels as though it was just yesterday she was making Christmas dinner, laughing, telling stories. In others, it feels like much more than the 9 years it's really been.

Words seem to fail me now as I try to paint a picture of the woman I called "Grandma". My heart longs for you to fully understand the person that she was, the person I wish so many of you knew, the person I wish with all my heart my daughters knew. Kind, gracious, strong, unwavering, selfless, sacrificial, loving, focused, filled with integrity, gentleness and a heart the size of Texas...that was my Grandma. I'll never understand how she could look at someone, anyone, and love them so deeply, so genuinely, from the start. It didn't matter what you'd done in life, she saw your potential. She saw your gifts. She truly saw Jesus in others. And that's how she treated them. She loved them. I know. Because she loved me.

I was not of her bloodline. According to the world, I was her "step-granddaughter". And I wasn't even that until I was 12 years old. But there was nothing "step" about our relationship. We were Grandmother and granddaughter through and through. If I had ever doubted that, she cleared it up right quick the day I mouthed off to my mom when she grabbed me by the ear and informed me that's "not the way to speak to your mother."  LOL. Did I mention she was also strict??  ;)

She and my Grandpa adopted my step-dad (also not a "step" relationship, but a father-daughter relationship) and his brother, then went on to have 5 children by birth, THEN went on to have numerous foster children over the years. Every single child, young or old, knew from the minute they walked through the door, they were family. To this day you never know who will show up for family gatherings because they all know they are still welcome. My grandma (and my grandpa) had a way of loving others that I'm not sure I fully understand even now, so many years later. And it has changed the way I live my life.

She taught me hard work, the value of family, forgiveness, how to genuinely love other people, the joys of a large family, the beauty of a special needs family, the magnificence of an adoptive family, the special bond that can exist between a grandmother and granddaughter, and SO. MUCH. MORE. She taught me what it was to be the hands and feet of Jesus to those around you.

I miss her. Every day I have yet another question for her about adoption. Every day I laugh at the antics of my children and I can still hear her laugh, as though she were right here with us. What I wouldn't give for one more day with her, for one more hug, one more story.

So go hug your grandma today for me...because time is short, and life is precious. One day, I will see her again because she gave her heart to Jesus long ago. But until that time comes, I do my best to keep her memory alive for my boys, to share stories of her life with my girls, and to be even half the woman of God she was every day of her life.

My only candid picture of just me & Grandma
Rosalie Ann Thiessen
Aug 6, 1932---April 11, 2004



2 comments:

Amy AKA Sanyone said...

Tears. My grandmother is still alive but doesn't even know me...regardless I still treasure every minute I get with her! I understand wanting everybody else to know how great she was, as you know I didn't have a mother around growing up and my grandmother filled that gap for me...glad to know you had that too!
thanks for sharing from your heart as always!

jaime said...

Thanks Amy! I'm glad it touched you. She was an amazing woman, as it's clear your's is. Life is just so short and it's easy to let it slip by and not take time. Love you friend!

Post a Comment