Monday, February 13, 2017

BB40: Week 5

Not gonna lie. It's been a rough week. Traveling and sticking to a plan, any plan, is always difficult. Whether it's an eating plan, an exercise plan, a daily schedule, it always suffers on the road. This week was no different.

We left Wednesday for our state basketball tournament and didn't return til Saturday. That's over half the week being out of sorts and out of routine. I did my best to eat healthy, but that proved difficult due to our schedule some days. I didn't get to exercise, but DID get in plenty of steps, so at least that part of my progress was solid. One day I walked over 3 MILES all inside the sports facility! LOL. I obviously got nothing accomplished on the home front and struggled to find time to spend in the Word, but did manage it all but 3 days.

When things are "off" for me, whether it's for a day or a whole week, I like to reassess and figure out how to make changes so that the next time is better, so that I learn something. It's my way of attempting to make something positive out of what could be seen as negative and make me doubt myself. This time, I've realized that one thing I could've done better was to PLAN. I simply assumed I would be able to find a healthy option wherever we went. However, the times we were stuck at the sports facility didn't offer any great options. If I had planned ahead, I could've brought healthy snack or meal replacement options with me. Baggies of almonds, a Zone bar, trail mix pouches or even just a few apples would've been simple to pack and a huge help.

So, the plan for this week--work on meal prep. I'll be honest, I'm not really much of a "plan ahead" type of person. I'm more of the fly by the seat of my pants and make it work, type of girl. My husband just loooooves that about me. (Not really--he's the uber planner type.) So even just the idea of meal prep doesn't sound appealing. However, I know that when I'm hungry, I tend to grab the easiest, closest thing. So I need those to be healthy options. I need to have meal choices in place that will keep me making good decisions, while allowing me minimal effort in the moment. Zone bars have been HUGE on this front, and are a great option on the go (which I am frequently with 5 kids). But there are days when I'm actually at home, but still just as busy and need a quick meal option.

Some easy ways to have healthy, quick meals are: pre-cooked, grilled chicken, fresh fruits and veggies and healthy crockpot meals. Crockpot meals are super easy to portion and reheat at a moment's notice, grilled chicken takes only minutes to heat up, and if the veggies can be cut up on the weekend, they are that much easier to grab in a hurry. Today I will make up a list of easy prep meals that will work with my schedule, and get a plan in place and started. I've done once a month cooking before, so I fully realize how one day of work and planning can really pay off in the end. I'm excited to see how much this helps in the long run--because 5 weeks has flown by and I'm not sure where it's gone!

Here's to planning, prep and pushing myself farther--and that much closer to my goals!

Blessings,


0 comments:

Post a Comment